October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month
We are wrapping up October with a special episode, dedicated to talking about loss and bringing awareness to a particular issue that could be related to miscarriages.
Waneta Van Drunen Littel is the mother to 10-year-old Oliver and wife to Joris. She experienced three heartbreaking late miscarriages, and in her research has found a connection to folic acid and the MTHFR gene. While she is not a medical professional, she does have the experience of a mother driven to find answers. Waneta is also a talented artist and photographer. Her goal in sharing her story is to help other mothers look for answers and potentially save babies’ lives.
In this episode, we talked about:
- Alexa’s book for Grieving Mothers: Sunshine After the Storm: A Survival Guide for the Grieving Mother
- The Nonprofit of the same name: Sunshine After the Storm
- Waneta’s heartbreaking late pregnancy losses
- The impact of folic acid
- The MTHFR gene and how it could lead to miscarriages
- The difference between folic acid (which is man-made/synthetic) and folate and how many people confuse them – they are NOT the same thing; avoiding folic acid if you can’t process it and exchanging for real folate
- Can folic acid actually be harmful? (Here’s a fact sheet from the National Institute of Health that explains folate, and it’s connection to the MTHFR gene.)
- How important it is to advocate for yourself and your babies and find a new doctor if they aren’t listening
- The book 1 in 4: Shifting the Balance on Pregnancy Loss by Dr. Barbara Toppin (Amazon aff link)
- Tests and other things women can do to help stay pregnant if they are experiencing frequent miscarriages or loss
This episode is sponsored by Kat Biggie Press in support of Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month.
All proceeds from the sale of the Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month Box Set go to support Sunshine After The Storm, Alexa’s non-profit that supports grieving mothers. To learn more and purchase the box set for yourself or a loved one, visit the book page or click the image below.
Sponsor the podcast! Find out how HERE.
Our books are available! Get your copy now!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Pin for Later!